Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I am my own country



Ever feel like your being judged by your race or where you come from? Or the fact that it doesn't matter who you are as an individual, people will still apply these pre-conceived notions and stereotypes of who you are and force it onto labeling you?

This video here is a very brave example of a social experiment, in which Ibby (the individual) partakes on a journey w/out the aid of cash, and he has spent 4 months walking in Europe.

More info in this video on his project


Now to side track a little bit, I talked to my mother recently as she asked about my travels in Europe this past summer and fall, and we landed on the subject of INTERNET. My parents do not own or touch computers, and have no real grasp of what the internet does other than instant messages like Emails, etc. So as she asked me how ideas are shared (youtube) and broadcasted on the internet (social media networks, facebook, twitter, etc) in her optimistic amazement she said: "That's really something. So you can all share information and news and ideas instantly over the internet thing? Thats wonderful, they shut everything down here in China, your sister complains about the lack of news here all the time."

As I try to explain to her not everything is GOOD on the internet, I had an epiphany. And in that moment, it was like a fucking tap on my head: we are what we share with one another. Whether its information, news, ideas, or our creativity, we are sending out these signals, reaching out to others who think alike.

While I struggle to explain to my mother about the spams, scams, the ranting, and spoiled brats bitching and complaining about materialistic stuff that they don't have, music/art/film they hate, whats cool and whats not, in an attempt to construct a virtual identity of vicariously living thru other people's creation, not to appreciate, but to showcase as an fashion accessory of some sort when they could be LIVING their own lives, experiences, and adventures, my mother replied: "son, no one is ever remembered in history for complaining. So stop complaining and appreciate what you have."

Sometimes you become so cynical, you forget what its like to enjoy life.

Thanks, ma.

Ps.

Note to self:

All this is all talk and no walk. So in order for me to take part of what I say I believe in, I must never take part in abusing the internet for pettiness, or spamming, hatred, or anything that is not constructive. From this moment on, this blog will be dedicated to my adventures in life, my friends and family, music/film/art that I LOVE and wish to share and help promote to other like minded individuals.

Remember the wise words people have given you and aid you in your journey. Do your thing.

Carry on with the walk. Less talk Motherfucker. Get on with it.

8 comments:

  1. Case!

    hang times in NY brother. is it possible to do a house show in NY somewhere? we should play together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet for me has only ever been an outlet for me to express my art. I have never made a single penny from any of it and I refuse to. I as a person can no longer put price tags on these sounds and images. I can only share them with people I think get it. The few responses I do get have been positive but I am a realist and I just cntinue to do what makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you playing in Vancouver in December?

    ps. where do i get the lyrics of the song "lone runner"?

    thanks Alex


    Thiago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kurdt: yeah its important to do your thing and just roll with it as long it makes you happy.

    thiago: No, unfortunately I won't be playing any shows in vancouver this winter, I'll be moving back to montreal after xmas to record the next DB album.

    Lyrics for lone runner:

    Night train running all thru the night

    like a dark light set across the promise land

    with the black leather seat strapped across my back

    I can hear him whistle coming down along the aisle

    Lone runner

    I can see him dancing

    coming down the aisle


    5' 11" all dressed in black

    with his feet floating above the ground along the aisle

    as he come in towards me with a smile on his face

    I got up from my seat, and started to run

    Lone Runner

    I can see him dancing

    coming down the aisle

    On that midnight train

    you'll know his name

    Don't let the devil catch you

    don't let him take you by the hand

    out on the open road

    don't let him take you

    as he walks down the aisle

    with that smile on his face

    dancing,

    dancing his way around you

    you'll know his name

    you'll know his name

    you'll know his name

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know the next time you're in town. I'm actually getting a passport soon. Maybe we could book something in Montreal soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ay, Dirty, you mother sounds like a wise old woman!

    Vivas From Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey.

    You were the soundtrack to a WW2 B-17 bomber I drew.

    And I decided to come back and check your blog.

    Your mom's quote is gorgeous - "No one in history is remembered for complaining."

    Give that woman a big hug...cuz she's so right. And why live a life that won't be remembered?

    ReplyDelete